Sunday, August 18, 2013

Introduction to the Walpole to Denmark section, a beautiful part of the Bibbulmun Track

On the eve of the next phase of my walk on the Bib Track, I think I'm not quite prepared to hike from Walpole to Denmark, a distance of 140 km. There are the usual last minute preparations to make, chores to perform, and the final packing and re-packing the rucksack to get the weight right.

I also checked track conditions - a mandatory task in case there were bushfires, hazards or just last minute diversions. I phoned Howard, a ranger in the Walpole office of Department of Parks and Wildlife. Howard said the high rainfall had caused parts of the track to be calf-deep in water, and so I should expect more than getting just my boots wet. The canoe crossing at Irwin Inlet would be business-as-usual, but the second crossing at Parry Inlet and the beach after that may not be safe to walk, needing a 10 km detour.

In fact, I'm a little nervous. Am I fit to hike alone again over the next seven days?

I've included my iPad in my packing list, and I hope to record my journey in Bib Bytes, to share my impressions of this beautiful adventure and experimentation.

The following site gives a sneak preview of what to expect: http://www.denmarkwesternaustralia.com/denmark-australia-visitor-guides/beaches.htm for the beaches; and
http://www.denmarkwesternaustralia.com/denmark-wa-travel-destinations/valleyofthegiants.htm for the unique forests.

I've planned to drive to Denmark, stay a night at the Denmark Hotel, and then the next morning, take the TransWA bus to Walpole, 65 km away by road, to start my hike. Max, the hotel owner, has agreed to let me leave my car at the hotel carpark.

No comments:

Post a Comment