Tuesday, August 6, 2013

How to Lighten your Backpack

In long hikes, we should carry a quarter, or at most, a third of our body weight. Weighing just over 60kg, my back should carry not more than 15kg. That was indeed my pack weight for many years. I grew used to lifting and carrying this weight.

But at 58 years old, I'm beginning now to want to enjoy luxuries, things I want to use at the camp sites. A thermos flask to carry my favorite teas in winter, a pillow, some garnishing to pepper up my meals, a down jacket to keep extra warm (the warmest ones at 700+ loft can weigh more than 400 g) and a mosquito net. Together, they can add a few extra kilos to my pack.

In one overnight hike to test some new equipment, I carried 18 kg. My hike was exhausting. To be fair though, I was unfit after a month of inactivity. I decided I couldn't carry 18 kg. I needed to remove items I didn't need.

First, I looked at my rucksack. It's a One Planet McMillan with an 85 liter capacity and does the job in any multi-day hike. Made from canvas material, it's tough and durable, water-resistant and is heavier than the light weight nylon packs. I was happy to go on using it.
My McMillan weighs 3kg,  is super comfortable and has a patch

I took out things I didn't need:
  • 1.3 kg air mat, replaced by my light weight Thermarest
  • Ski jacket (I decided I would buy a down jacket)
  • Thermos flask (it wasn't winter!)
I resolved I would plan my meals properly so that, other than emergency rations, I wouldn't carry extra food. I would learn to dehydrate more of my food, and carry less fresh food.
On my Walpole to Denmark walk in August 2013, I still carried extra food. Lots, in fact. I was still lugging 19 kg. but this time, I was fitter, and, other than at the end of a long walking day, I wasn't feeling the weight.

I still had to work on how to remove heavy items.

I learnt a vital lesson too. When I neared Denmark, I noticed, with alarm, a 5-mm hole on one side of my pack. It turned out that the handle of my toothbrush, which was sticking out from the toiletry bag, had been rubbing against the canvas. It ultimately punctured it.

Sue from One Planet was happy to send me patches for the repair. However resilient the bag, no material could withstand the pressure of a protruding object, and i didnt want to look into the possibility that the damage was covered by One Planet's lifetime warranty.

So, never, never, let anything having a corner or an edge - even if it's blunt - touch the sides of a rucksack.


No comments:

Post a Comment