Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 2: Frankland River to Giants

"Sunrise on the banks of the Frankland River should be a delight." (Track Guide)

Summary from the guidebook:

The track passes through the Valley of the Giants, named for the huge red tingle, which measures up to 20m round at the base, lives to 400 years, and is found nowhere else.  This is a very popular tourist attraction, and the walker is asked to allow enough time here to get up to do the famous Giants Tree Top Walk at 38m above the forest canopy, and Ancient Empire.



After the forest, the route heads towards the ocean at Conspicuous Bay and the walk for the remainder of the journey to Albany is on the coast. The climb up Conspicuous Cliff is tough but the views from the top are gorgeous. At this time of the year, one can expect to see up to 40 species of whales and dolphins on their annual route to feed in theAntarctic.

Weather: cloudy with welcomed snatches of sun, with occasional showers, temperature 13 deg. Celsius.
Spirits: High

Last night, I was disturbed by bush rats, and although my food was kept well away, hanging from the roof rafters, they were rustling through my bags, and the sound of the plastic bags was annoying. I even saw a bold animal scouting around.

Waking up at 5.15, I needed 1 1/2 hours to pack on my first morning. You always don't pack right the first time, so you keep adjusting.

After a meal of oats and tea with honey, I started at just after 7 determined that I would arrive early at the Tree Top Walk, a distance of about 13km. The view of the Frankland River was beautiful. Some 20 minutes into the walk, I was descending a hill and the sight of the trees bathed in early morning sun rays, the tree top shrouded with mists, was a sight that would soften any soul. At Sappers Bridge, I snapped a few pictures. The bridge was built by Australian army engineers after a flood in 1982.


Many small trees had fallen recently and some had blocked the track. I counted four places where I had to either crawl under a branch or use some gymnastics to climb over them. I even fell once, but no dramas.

At a creek crossing, I came across two day walkers who also arrived there at the same time. They watch me, impressed, using my hiking poles to good effect, and improved some sticks so they could walk across without getting their boots wet.

Creeks, where you cross them, seem to offer good photographic opportunities, and I used a bit of time taking pictures today.


By 11, I had arrived at the Tree Top Walk. We enjoyed this spot 28 years ago, and I still enjoyed it tremendously. There was also Telstra network coverage, so at 40m high and close to, but not yet reaching, the top of these giants, the red tingle, I was catching up on my email. My family got to see a picture of me at that moment, thanks to technology.

I reached the Giants Shelter at 1.30 after another easy 20 minutes walk. This time, I was pleasantly surprised there was Optus mobile coverage too. The best spot seemed to be at the dunny, so tomorrow morning, I could be making a few calls, literally.

I had bumped into Charmaine at the TTW centre. I met Charmaine last year at the Bibbulmun Track Challenge. She was kind enough to let me charge my iPad battery, so at 4, I returned there to collect my iPad. I also paid a visit to the Ancient Empire, a walk through some of the most beautiful trees, which included a red tingle named Grandma Tingle ( for obvious reasons).

The log books at shelters are always delightful to read. The Giants Shelter was no exception. But I'll share some stories in the days ahead. It's nearly 7, I've eaten my dinner, and I want to leave at sunrise so I can reach Peaceful Bay before dusk. It'll be a 30km walk. I decided to skip the next shelter. This is called 'double hutting'.

No comments:

Post a Comment