Friday, August 23, 2013

Day 5: Boat Harbour to Williams Bay

Weather: clear sky, temperatures rose from 11 to 27 C.

My log entry at William Bay, which I reached at 11am, says it all:


"Tomorrow is my last and sixth day, feel sorry to leave the Track. Double-hutted from Giants to Peaceful Bay, and, oh, what a long day it took. I always say, don't do it again. Anyway, I thought I could stay a night at Parry Beach if the Parry Inlet Crossing was too deep, instead of going and walk the 10km extra distance of the diversion. As it turned out, the water depth was less than a meter, but I was timing it a bit, so I would arrive well ahead of high tide, which I reckoned occurred at about 11.30 this morning. I crossed Parry Inlet at about 8.30.
Location map, captured by my Track Spotter

7km of Mazzoletti Beach to cross
"Mazzoletti Beach was not too difficult to walk, though some parts were soft sand. After the limestone cliffs, the waves were already between 5 and 10 meters from the cliffs. It was about 10am then. I saw three surfers.

"Earlier in the morning, I was was determined to watch sunrise. When approaching Hillier Trig Point, and crossing crest after crest, the sun was still not seen. (I quickened my pace so much that my speed at that stage could be 5km/hr.) then I realized that, walking eastwards, and because of he ridges, crests and headlands, I wouldn't be able to see the sun rising from the horizon. Anyway, it turned out that I say the sun 15 minutes after it had arisen. It still was an orange ball. Okay, not quite.

"One of the walkers wrote that there weren't enough waugal signs. I agree. One hour before Hillier Trig Point, I became worried that I was no longer walking on the Track as I hadn't seen a waugal for maybe an hour. At first I wasn't too concerned as surely there would be great views to be had along the coast (being not far from Boat Harbour), but to think of the several more hours to get back on track, and the much longer day ahead was unnerving.

"I started the walk from Walpole, uncertain and nifty, and carrying too much in my pack. Now, my spirits are extremely high, but my shoulders still ache, and I still carry food enough to last me another three days or more. Just because I bought a new 85 liter pack."
Green Pool, 20 minutes' walk from the base of Tower Hill, is a very beautiful swim spot. It's sheltered from the surf by rocks. Being a gorgeous and warm day, locals and tourists alike were out in full force.

No comments:

Post a Comment