Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 3: Giants to Peaceful Bay

The moon
Smiled,
Beckoned.
Lit the way.

It all happened together. I retraced my steps. 300m, found my glasses which I left at the last rest stop, and then the clouds parted to reveal a most beautiful moon. She was so embracing, I knew why she's still adored, no, worshipped by millions. I was entering a transition area, between the forests and the cliffs. lots of hard work to come. I needed all the encouragement i could get.  It was not quite the break of dawn, but I switched my headlamp off.

I had left the shelter an hour earlier. I was all refreshed and raring to go another 30km. I wanted to reach Peaceful Bay, two shelters away.

At 4am, I managed to send some email. The best spot for coverage was still at the dunny.

For once, sitting inside was so good. It was raining, and I think it was multi tasking at its best.

Today is going to be refreshing. Ocean at last. I came to realise that by far I love best this part of the Bib Track. This was despite the greater effort to walk on spongy sand, climbing and sliding down dunes, and the seemingly longer distances to cover. Swampy parts, calf deep and even knee deep had to be crossed. They added to the enjoyment.

Conspicuous Bay marked the start of walks on rugged coasts after exiting the forests. Whale spotting provided excitement. For the next two days, there was always the anticipation of seeing a water spout.

Coastal scenery was spectacular. But crossing sand dunes could be such a tough endeavor. Up two feet, down one, crawling on hands and knees. The following are some of shots taken on the way to Peaceful Bay, including from Castle Rock. The last two km to Peaceful Bay was a struggle. I guess for a walker on beach, the amazing scenery is dampened a bit by the disappointment that the next bay or beach turns out not to be the end destination.
Peaceful Bay is a friendly settlement of 60 people, although in summer, the population could swell to thousands. Top on the agenda on arrival was to order the famous fish & chips. I had king fish, caught in Peaceful Bay itself. I stayed the night in an old caravan for which I paid $20. It had water, a bed, a heater, and most importantly, a power point to charge my iPad.

No comments:

Post a Comment