Monday, September 16, 2013

A Tribute to volunteers, the Bibulmun Track Foundation and DPAW

The day, September 9, 2013 marks the completion of a journey. The last bit of the journey, from Denmark to Albany, had been the most enjoyable, and most beautiful too.
The previous day was the best day of all the days on the track. When I descended to steps to where I would meet the Torbay Inlet crossing, the beauty of the deserted beach and the peace with nature overwhelmed me with joy. Teasing the waves by walking on the firm sand where they were breaking, challenging them to come sweep me, just making out the wind turbines in the distance, and watching the sun rays blanketing them, showed me the immense power of nature, one not to be tamed but to be enjoyed.
Steve Sertis wrote that walking the Bibbulmun Track is about the journey, not the destination. This journey saw me learn the steps, and fall a few times. I learnt about walking alone, taking responsibility, and planning. This was after I resolved to complete this journey one year ago. But, the journey started five years back when I participated in the BT 10 year anniversary by walking one section of the track.
A winter donkey orchid
Then another trip with the BTF, then another. I even participated in the Corporate Challenge and had lots of fun. What was tentative at first became a serious resolution. I wanted to feel what it was like to become part of the community who complete the end to end, called End-to-Enders, even if it was by sections. Long live the Bibbulmun Track, long live the BTF. Thank you to the volunteers and DPAW for maintaining the track. Thank you to the walkers who provided the inspiration to complete this walk, and persist in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment